Thursday, November 10, 2011

A night at Improv Olympic



I remember back in the days of yore, I once ditched a pep assembly.  Back in yore, if you ditched a part of school, I think you were supposed to go out in the parking lot and smoke or something.  Or maybe just leave.  But I wouldn't know, because when I ditched that pep assembly, my friends and I snuck off to one of the theaters at my high school to play improv games.  That is the kind of dangerous rebel I was back in those days. Anyway, apart from attending a few improv shows in college, it's been a while since I saw or participated in improv.  I was a bit nervous about going to see a show at Improv Olympic.  Did I still like improv?  Did it just make me think of Michael Scott on the Office, introducing a gun into every scene?

As it turns out, the shows at Improv Olympic are quite excellent, mainly because all the groups are actually quite good at improvising, which is a skill we should appreciate when it's not being attempted by Michael Scott.  I interviewed Cook County Social Club after their set, which you can listen to below.  Obligatory links: check out Improv Olympic here and you can learn more about the charming fellows from Cook County Social club here.

No comments:

Post a Comment